Iridium Re-Epoch will change time on handheld satellite phones2 March, 2015
Iridium will be changing the system time on its satellites on March 3rd, 2015.
Iridium calls this “re-epoching.” After that point, Iridium handsets (like the Iridium Extreme, Iridium 9555, Iridium 9505a, Iridium 9505, and the Iridium 9500) will display the incorrect system time until users enter in a string of numbers.
You can reset the system time on your satellite phone to reflect the correct time by entering a quick string of numbers into your handset.
• If you are reading this and it is not yet March 3rd, 2015, don’t do anything to your handset. You won’t see an incorrect time until after March 3rd.
• If you are reading this and it is already past March 3rd, 2015, please follow the instructions below.
Note: There will be no impact to handset functionality other than system time display.
The displayed time and date will revert to December 29, 2007, 7:26:29 UTC and will progress on this baseline until Phone settings are adjusted to the new Iridium epoch time.
Iridium GO! Devices will handle the time change automatically and do not require reprogramming.
How to Reset the System Time on Your Iridium Handheld Satellite Phone (9555/9575)
At this time, the following instructions only apply to Iridium 9555 and Iridium 9575:
1) After the Iridium Time Re-Epoch Occurs (March 3, 2015) you can reset the time on your Iridium 9555 or Iridium 9575.
2) Dial *#99#2014051114235500# on an Iridium 9555 or Iridium 9575 satellite phone
3) Press the green key
4) Then power off/on.
Resetting the System Time on an Older Iridium Handheld Satellite Phone (9500/9505A)
Iridium 9500, 9505, and 9505A customers will need to set the updated time and date from their phone menu.
1) Follow the steps in “Getting to Phone Setup…” to get to “Set Time and Date,” and then press OK to select.
2) Press MENU to choose “Set Home Time + Date” or “Set Away Time + Date,” and then press OK. You will see “Enter Home Time or Enter Away Time” and the time currently set.
3) Press OK to accept the displayed time.
Enter the time in 24-hour format, and then press OK. You will see “Enter Home Date or Enter Away Time” and the date currently set.
4) Press OK to accept the displayed date. You will see “Completed.”
Enter the date in day(dd)-month(mm)-year(yy) form and then press OK. You will see “Completed.”
5) Press and hold C to exit the menu.